RUMA is delighted to announce the appointment of Gwyn Jones as the Alliance’s new Chairman.
Gwyn Jones is a dairy farmer from Sussex and a strong advocate of the responsible use of medicines on farm. He was previously Vice President of the National Farmers’ Union and is currently Chairman of EPRUMA, the European Union equivalent of RUMA.
Mr Jones said ‘RUMA is an exciting farm to fork organisation and its clear and honest policies mean that it punches well above its weight in terms of profile and influence on an increasingly international stage. I am honoured to be asked by the Alliance to take the Chairman’s role and help steer its activities during this next challenging period’.
‘Responsible use of antibiotics has been recognised widely as a key element to protecting the continued efficacy of these important medicines for both animals and humans. RUMA has a vital role to play in helping farmers and vets continue to use medicines responsibly.’
NOTES FOR EDITORS
- RUMA is an alliance of 23 organisations representing every stage of the “farm to fork” process which aims to promote a co-ordinated and integrated approach to best practice in the use of medicines on farm. A full list of RUMA members is at paragraph 4 below. For further information contact RUMA Secretary General John FitzGerald (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gwyn Jones is a Nuffield Scholar and runs a 350 cow dairy farm in West Sussex, with a 1.5 Megawatt Anaerobic Digester integrated in the farm business. He has a long history as an active member of the NFU holding National Office for several years.
- Chairman of EPRUMA, an active member of FAWC (3rd term), Vice Chairman of the COPA Animal Health and Welfare Working Group, member of the BVA Welfare and Ethics Group, Gwyn is also a member of the University of Surrey School of Veterinary Medicine’s External Liaison and Advisory Committee.
- RUMA’s members are:
- Agricultural Industries Confederation
- Animal Health Distributors Association
- Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority
- BPEX and EBLEX
- British Egg Industry Council
- British Poultry Council
- British Retail Consortium
- British Veterinary Association
- City and Guilds
- Dairy UK
- Game Farmers’ Association
- National Beef Association
- National Farmers’ Union
- National Office of Animal Health
- National Pig Association
- National Sheep Association
- NFU Scotland
- Red Tractor Assurance
- Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Food Standards Agency
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate